DIRECTIONAL TRANSPARENCY: CLEARSHADE HONEYCOMB GLAZING AT ARQUITECTONICA’S MARQUIS CONDOMINIUMS
Arquitectonica chose Panelite ClearShade IGU honeycomb glazing to address a very specific need to balance privacy and views on the Marquis condominium balconies in Miami.
PROJECT: Marquis Condominiums
INSTALLER: Vigilante Associates
Images, Panelite and Marquis Condominiums.
- Provide privacy between neighbors’ balconies for high-end oceanfront condominiums
- Allow expansive views towards the Miami skyline and ocean while maintaining privacy
- Achieve Arquitectonica’s aesthetic goals for a modern, clean-lined aesthetic
- ClearShade CS-U-TC3.5 angled at 15 degrees.
- ClearShade inserts with 3.5mm cell diameter create a very fine-grained, ethereal texture, complementing the architects’ vision of the building as a glass sculpture.
- The tubular honeycomb cell structure angled at 15 degrees ensures complete privacy towards neighbors’ balconies, and allows expansive views towards the ocean and cityscape.
EXTENSIVE DESIGN OPTIONS TO EFFECT TRANSPARENCY AND VIEWS
Lines of sight are physically directed through the tubular, cellular structure of ClearShade honeycomb, and a variety of factors can be manipulated to achieve design goals of visibility and privacy, transparency, color and texture.
Directional transparency means that the degree of transparency of the ClearShade unit varies dynamically, through movement, as the angle of the viewer’s line of sight changes and as the viewer’s distance to the unit changes. Directional transparency and related factors such as privacy, views, and the prominence – or not – of texture and color are further determined by non-dynamic, static factors such as the cell diameter, opacity or transparency, and thickness of the ClearShade insert. Read more about Directional Transparency here.
ClearShade units can be specified to meet a broad range of performance and aesthetic options.
Daylighting requirements, Solar Heat Control, Insulating requirements, Energy-saving targets Hurricane- or blast-resistance, Acoustic specifications, Views/privacy
Custom Glass Lites: Color, Coatings, Etching, Frit Patterns Custom ClearShade Inserts: Color, Cell Diameter, Angled Cells, Insert thickness, Integrated Patterns, Spacers and sightlines.
View all ClearShade product options here.
View the Marquis Condominiums project in our gallery here.
Learn more about ClearShade honeycomb glazing, including its exceptional daylighting optimization and solar heat gain control here.